Thursday, April 28, 2011

Guinness update

Just a quick note on Guinness. He came out of surgery okay and is doing well. The vet found out that he did not eat something like we thought. It turns out he has a congenital defect called Pyloric stenosis, which is a narrowing of the pyloric valve in his stomach. This is where the food enters into your intestinal track. So with Guinness having no opening the food had only one way to go and that was up and out and in his case it was twice a day that it happened. He was born this way and as he got older it got worse. The Vet opened up his pyloric valve some more, with surgery,  which should help him a bunch.  I guess I am happier that it this and not that he ate something because I was hearing awful  stories of dogs eating so much stuff  that Vet were unable to do any more for the dog because there was too much scar tissue. How do you train the dog not to eat something on the ground... yes, I know that is a hard one. Thank you for all your well wishes I felt each one I am sure Guinness did too. My sweet boy should be home on Friday evening.

5 comments:

K. Joy said...

Oh, I'm so glad Guinness is okay!! Glad the vet could help him out. :) We teach our dogs to "leave it", and after awhile they will hesitate before taking things off the ground (long enough for us to remove whatever it is), but when you aren't watching them it's so hard to keep them from eating things! Our Schnauzer puppy will eat anything from plastic twist-ties to bugs. Someday she'll learn, I guess. :)

Melissa said...

Oh so glad that they figured out what it was and that he is doing good Heide! Bet you and the kids can't wait to get him home.

marsha said...

Heide, so glad your furbaby is doing well!
Hugs,
Marsha

auntbeespickles said...

I'm glad you found out what was wrong Heide. Now he can be on the mend! =)
Lots of hugs!!
Sarah

Renee Matarese said...

That's great news. I've been worried because I know what it's like to worry about your pet and then having the eagle heartache this week I didn't think I could handle it if I knew someone else was hurting over an animal. Hopefully this will fix his issues and you'll both be much better now!